Also known as white mushrooms, button mushrooms are the most common type you’ll find in the supermarket. They’re harvested when they’re young and have a very subtle, earthy flavor and are available year-round.
Swiss Browns come from the same family as White Buttons. They’re firm, robust and have less moisture content, with a dense, meaty texture. They hold their shape better when cooked, and add a beautiful rustic colour to meals.
If you like button mushrooms, then making your way to Portobellos should be an easy step. This mushroom is the most mature stage of the Swiss Brown mushroom, with its cap fully grown out. The Portobello is mild in flavor, but has a meaty texture. It works great as a substitute for meat in certain dishes, and is particularly delectable when grilled.
A wide range of animals are known to eat wild mushrooms (e.g. deer, mice, pigs, rabbits, slugs, snails and many insects including ants which cultivate their own fungus gardens). Do not assume that it is safe for humans to eat the same species that animals consume without any apparent ill effects. It is claimed that deer and rabbits can eat poisonous fungi with impunity.
Meadows works hard to ensure that only the best possible product arrives fresh to you daily. But when you are buying look for mushrooms that are firm to touch with a fairly uniform colour. Mushrooms are extremely fragile and prone to bruising, so you may find some marks and blemishes. Stems are a good indication of freshness – look for strong, healthy stems when shopping for Meadows.
Mushrooms are best kept refrigerated, so keep them in their pre-packed punnet or brown paper bag in the fridge until you’re ready to use them. Our bags are specially designed for mushroom storage, even though they are plastic.
To prepare mushrooms for eating and cooking simply wipe them clean with a damp cloth, or quickly immerse in cold water then pat dry if they have excess compost on them. Avoid peeling your mushrooms before eating, because the skin is packed with essential vitamins and minerals.
Yes, cooking with dried mushrooms is extremely popular! Just soak them in warm water or your favorite broth before sauteing!
The rule-of-thumb when it comes to detecting freshness is when mushrooms are slimy. This could be from sitting in your fridge for too long and while they’re not bad for you to eat at this point, it's still a good common kitchen practice to toss them.
Sometimes mushrooms don't get slimy but they do dry out and get wrinkles. While it's okay to dry out your mushrooms a little bit (since they are fairly moist vegetables anyway), you don't want them too wrinkly. So if they're shriveled up looking, it's a safer bet to toss rather than consume.
Dark spots are a sign that they're starting to go bad. The best thing that you can do is to keep an eye on your mushrooms throughout the time they're in your fridge. If you see them getting darker or developing dark spots, it's time to use them or lose them.
The general consensus in terms of shelf life/storage time with mushrooms is eight days in the fridge. Of course, use your best judgment and common sense. If they look, smell, and feel fine, they're probably still safe to eat.
Your mushrooms shouldn't have a noticeable or strong odor. If you can smell them, they've gone bad. Of course, if you're sticking your nose right up to them, you'll get a scent, but it should be light and subtle. If you pick up the bag, open it, and have to turn your head, then you've got bad mushrooms.
A mushroom is neither a fruit nor a vegetable; technically mushrooms aren't even plants. They are a special type of fungus, which is a great addition to a healthy diet—not to mention totally delicious.
Mushrooms are not considered a common food allergy. However if you're allergic to mold you might experience similar symptoms when eating mushrooms.
You can put all the mushrooms you want in a compost heap, they may even be the shining star of the mix. Given their special attributes, mushrooms add several benefits to a healthy compost pile. Add mushrooms to the pile and all of their mineral goodies become part of the completed compost. The compost then feeds your plants and garden all these essential minerals.