Also known as white mushrooms, agaricus button mushrooms are the most common type you’ll find in the supermarket. They’re harvested when they’re young and have a very subtle, earthy flavor and are available year-round.
Swiss Browns come from the same family as White Buttons. They’re firm, robust and have slightly less moisture content, with a dense, meaty texture and stronger flavour. They hold their shape better when cooked, and add a beautiful rustic colour to meals.
If you like button mushrooms, then making your way to Portobellos should be an easy step. This mushroom is the most mature stage of the Swiss Brown mushroom, with its cap fully grown out. The Portobello is rich in flavor, but has a meaty texture. It works great as a substitute for meat in dishes, and is particularly delectable when grilled.
A wide range of animals are known to eat wild mushrooms (e.g. deer, mice, pigs, rabbits, slugs, snails and many insects including ants which cultivate their own fungus gardens). Do not assume that it is safe for humans to eat the same species that animals consume without any apparent ill effects. It is claimed that deer and rabbits can eat poisonous fungi with impunity.
Meadow Mushrooms works hard to ensure that only the best possible product arrives fresh to you daily. But when you are buying look for mushrooms that are firm to touch with a fairly uniform colour. Mushrooms are extremely fragile and prone to bruising, so you may find some marks and blemishes. Stems are a good indication of freshness – look for strong, healthy stems when shopping for Meadow Mushrooms.
Mushrooms will keep best when refrigerated.
Our Meadow Mushrooms punnets are designed especially to keep your products away from damage and help maintain freshness through our custom breathable film and punnets, so keeping your mushrooms in their original packaging will help maintain them longer. Our bags are also epecially designed for mushroom storage, even though they are plastic they allow the mushrooms to breath.
If you have a brown paper bag or fabric mushroom bag these are both breathable to help maintain product freshness by allowing the mushrooms to breath and preventing moisture build-up which can age your product.
To prepare mushrooms for eating and cooking simply wipe them clean with a dry cloth, or brush off any compost which is attached to them. Avoid washing, rinsing or soaking mushrooms as they have a high water content already and being porus will absorb more water which will come out during cooking.
We fon't recommend peeling your mushrooms before eating, because the skin is packed with essential vitamins and minerals.
The rule-of-thumb when it comes to detecting freshness is when mushrooms are slimy. This could be from sitting in your fridge for too long and while they’re not bad for you to eat at this point, it's still a good common kitchen practice to toss them.
Sometimes mushrooms don't get slimy but they do dry out and get wrinkles. While it's okay to dry out your mushrooms a little bit (since they are fairly moist vegetables anyway), you don't want them too wrinkly. So if they're shriveled up looking, it's a safer bet to toss rather than consume.
Dark spots are a sign that they're starting to go bad. The best thing that you can do is to keep an eye on your mushrooms throughout the time they're in your fridge. If you see them getting darker or developing dark spots, it's time to use them or lose them.
The general consensus in terms of shelf life/storage time with mushrooms is eight days in the fridge. Of course, use your best judgment and common sense. If they look, smell, and feel fine, they're probably still safe to eat.
Your mushrooms shouldn't have a noticeable or strong odor. If you can smell them, they've gone bad. Of course, if you're sticking your nose right up to them, you'll get a scent, but it should be light and subtle. If you pick up the bag, open it, and have to turn your head, then you've got bad mushrooms.
A mushroom is neither a fruit nor a vegetable; technically mushrooms aren't even plants. They are a special type of fungus, which is a great addition to a healthy diet—not to mention totally delicious.
Mushrooms are not considered a common food allergy. However if you're allergic to mold you might experience similar symptoms when eating mushrooms.
You can put all the mushrooms you want in a compost heap, they may even be the shining star of the mix. Given their special attributes, mushrooms add several benefits to a healthy compost pile. Add mushrooms to the pile and all of their mineral goodies become part of the completed compost. The compost then feeds your plants and garden all these essential minerals.
Yes, the plastic bags our mushrooms come in can be recycled through the soft-plastics recycling programe. The cling-film that wraps our pre-packed mushroom punnets can also be removed and recycled in the same soft-plastics recycling programe.
You find out more information here: http://www.meadowmushrooms.co.nz/about-us/news/love-nz-soft-plastic-recycling-programme
Thanks! Your question has successfully been submitted to our team.