- Heat the oven 170°C.
- Place the chicken pieces in a baking dish and sprinkle with half the salt and a grind of pepper then pour over the cream. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool then remove the chicken from the cream, reserving the cream and cutting the chicken into 2cm pieces.
- Raise the oven to 200°C.
- Melt 25g of the butter in a large frying/saucepan over a medium heat and cook the shiitake and button mushrooms with quarter of a teaspoon of salt for 5 minutes then set aside.
- Heat the remaining 75g butter and add the onions, leeks, celery and remaining quarter of a teaspoon salt and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring for 3 minutes then add the chicken stock and stir until smooth and then add the cream, wine and any chicken juices. Cook over a low heat for 5 minutes until thick.
- Finally stir in the tarragon, mushrooms and chicken and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place into a large pie dish (about 8 cups) Whisk the egg in a small bowl with a tablespoon of water. Brush the edges of the dish with a little egg.
- Roll out the pastry to fit the top of your dish and cover, pressing the edges down. Cut a steam vent in the top and brush with the egg. Bake for 35 minutes until golden.
- 250g flour, sifted
- half a teaspoon salt
- 125 g cold butter, cut into cubes
- a third of a cup ice water
In a food processor combine the flour and salt then add the butter and process to an even crumb. Add the ice water and pulse to combine (don't over mix). Tip onto a floured surface and knead gently together to form a ball. Flatten to a disc and wrap in glad wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Serve with a green salad.