- Put the vinegar, bay, peppercorns and sugar in a saucepan with 150ml water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put the shiitake and thyme in a heatproof bowl and pour over the liquid. Cool then refrigerate overnight or for up to 5 days, stirring occasionally.
- When ready to serve, Heat the butter or oil in a frying pan and cook the mushrooms with a sprinkle of salt.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of vinegar.
- Crack in the eggs and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well.
- Arrange the pan-fried mushrooms on the toast and top with the eggs. Add the avocado and top with pickled shiitake. Scatter with tamari seeds and smoked paprika, chilli sauce or pepper.
1 cup pumpkin and/or sunflower seeds
Quarter of a cup sesame and linseed seeds
1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
Toast the seeds in a frying pan over a medium heat for about 4 minutes, stirring until just browning. Take off the heat and quickly stir through the tamari and tip onto a tray to cool. Store in an airtight container.
To serve, tamari toasted seeds, smoked paprika, chilli sauce or freshly ground pepper.